1951 Delahaye 175S Cabriolet by Franay

POA

Cars International Heritage are delighted to offer this wonderful and rare 1951 Delahaye 175S Cabriolet with coachwork by Franay.

  • Rare 175 with more powerful ā€˜Sā€™ type engine
  • Total documented restoration to original specification by Auto Restorations New Zealand
  • From a prominent UK collection with minimal use and ready to show
  • Under development prior to World War II, Delahaye finally introduced the Type 175 in 1947. The 175 was one of three grand touring models launched by Delahaye that year, the other two being the Type 178 and 180. All three cars were part of the company’s last-ditch effort to update its product line for the lucrative United States market.

    On paper, the Type 175 looked very attractive with its short chassis and powerful 6-cylinder, 7- bearing crankshaft, 4.5-liter overhead camshaft in-line engine. The Type 175S, featuring Dubonnet engineered suspension and an even more powerful engine with three carburetors, debuted the following year. Other features included a De Dion rear axle, Lockheed brakes, and, as a special concession to New World drivers, the option of the left-hand drive.

    The wide chassis of the Type 175S allowed coachbuilders to create appealing, perfectly proportioned, and very expensive bodies: the average cost of the coachwork alone was around 1,300,000 FF. Just 51 examples were produced before the models were discontinued in 1950.

    This Type 175S, Chassis 815016, was supplied in Left Hand Drive and fitted with the more powerful ‘S’ engine and has coachwork designed by Pierre Dumont. Dumont was a designer at Carrosserie Franay, one of the era’s foremost Parisian coachbuilders well known for its high quality and luxury craftsmanship. It bears a striking resemblance to the 1950 Delahaye Paris Auto Show car, a Type 135. The car’s flamboyant lines are typical of the era with the classically smooth and unbroken curves of French styling creating a body that is aerodynamic even to the point of eliminating the car’s door handles, release buttons being used instead.

    According to research by Delahaye historians, the first recorded license information was Paris, January 1963. The owner is unknown but the 175S was registered as 5096 HG 75. The next owner was Jacques Boillon of Niort, with registration 843 FK 79. In April 1964 the car was purchased by Philippe Meunier of Sicmo who stored the car for a number of years until it was sold in 1988-89 to US Delahaye expert Richard Adatto. Adatto owned the car for two years before selling it to Richard Straman in 1991. Straman owned the car from 1991 until 2007 but never restored it. The 175 S was sold to the current owner, a known collector and expert in his own right of Delahaye cars pre and post war.

    A total documented restoration was entrusted to Auto Restorations of New Zealand to original factory specification. Carefully stored and regularly maintained since completion in 2016, the 175S is in superb condition and would be suitable for many worldwide concours events.

    The 175S is UK registered and taxes paid. It is a suitable candidate for our UK to EU programme.

    Price on application.

    UK to EU Eligible

    Contact:
    Kent Thirley
    kent.thirley@carsinternational.com
    +44 (0) 7774 953111

    Cars International Heritage
    Globe House,
    15 Purdeys Way,
    Rochford,
    Essex,
    SS4 1ND
    +44 (0) 1702 531758